I love podcasts and on my commute to work and back home, I have been catching up on some good episodes this week.
- I love Ear Hustle and this week they had a Q&A session, I particularly loved the bit where they went round asking the guys what their prison theme song would be. If this is you first time, the boom boom room is definitely my all-time favourite episode.
- This is Uncomfortable, a new podcast I got into was talking about class anxiety. Something that I can definitely associate with. Well, I loved how the lady in question just broke it down in a way that made me think of my own discomfort with money.
- Aminatou and Ann also talked about all the money feelings we have. One of their subjects was saying how they sit with a group of their friends and everyone writes down their annual salary, they jumble them up and pick them out say them aloud so even if you do not know who earns that much, you at least know they are in your friendship circle. Mind-blowing, would love to see the same from my friends.
- Woman’s Hour talked about period sex – the good, the dirty and freaky J
- The Mr is left handed so this episode from Radio Lab hit me personally. The previous two stories were also quite impressive.
Happy Listening 🙂
Posted in life
Tagged about me, Call Your Girlfriend, Class Anxiety, Ear Hustle, left-handed Radio LabLove, periods, Podcasts, prison, sex, This is Uncomfortable, Womans Hour
In the past couple of weeks I have listened to some really interesting podcast episodes that I thought I should share.
Have you listened to something interesting recently?
Posted in Heart matters, home, marriage, Motherhood/ Parenting
Tagged Christianity, eggplant, faith, Heart matters, homosexuality, Johannesburg, marriage, Podcasts, reading, recommendations, Sunday Reads
I have a friend who is a maverick at making friends. One on one, she seems incredibly shy but I love her attitude to making friends and how deliberate she is about it all. So when I think to myself that I would like to make friends, I always think of some kind of organised activity that brings people together on the regular.
When I think of this though I always wonder how I would go about starting one because it involves putting myself out there in some way or another which is not exactly my thing. But, if / when I get over this hurdle, these are some things I would like to do:
- Listen to a key podcast each month and then meet and discuss
- Start an article club – pick a Longread article and then chat about it
- Pick a cuisine and then assign various parts of the meal (starter, protein, desserts, salad) to different people and thus have a supper club or a cookbook club if you are fancier.
- Good old Book club
- Board games with a group of friends, I really have mine eye on this one.
- A cheese/ wine tasting club.
Do you live in Joburg, would you be keen to do any of this with me and meet some new people?
Posted in Heart matters, life
Tagged book club, Books reading, cooking, female bonding, female friendship, friends, friendship, host friends, Podcasts, Things to do around Joburg
Where are you going. You cannot leave with so many pieces of me still inside you. How will I ever put myself back together again.
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, life, marriage, Motherhood/ Parenting, working
Tagged belief, faith, Heart matters, Kenyan elections, motherhood, parenting, Podcasts, recipes, recommendations, Sunday Reads, technology, travel, women at work
Posted in home
Tagged #MeTooPhd, bible god, economics, faith, Game of Thrones, motherhood, Podcasts, poetry, recipes, recommendations, Sunday Reads
I miss my gal pals the most when I see stuff like this that we could do together .
I particularly think of the things that I have missed out on with my better female friends: baby showers, bridal showers, high tea, being able to do random things together, road trips, dinners, first homes, come meet my new guy, the new baby, watch a new show together and laugh about it – just a lot of stuff. Yes, IRL I have friends and people I do this but it’s also different.
From the blog post:
I particularly love #2,6, 9 and have done #3 – adult baking dates are awesome – 10, 13.
The comments as usual provides such gems and so here is my to do with a friend list.
- Volunteer together at a cause that’s meaningful to either or both of us.
- More concerts – I watched John Legend with a pal and her cool mom and it was awesome!
- Coworking sessions. Yes to these.
- Sit together and read dates.
- Sleepovers with no husbands or kids.
- Pottery / learn something class.
- Try and commit to an exercise class together.
- Talk about podcast episodes we both love. Tried to get so many pals into this that I am glad I can do it with my sister and partly with The Mr.
- Watch TV shows together and make comments in between, ideally together or even if separately, concurrently.
- Same day road trips and do stuff along the way or at the destination.
- Supper club where each person brings one.
In fact, I decided to have a little snacks and games afternoon at my place next month! Done!!
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged baking, books, classes, Cup of Jo, exercise, female bonding, female friendship, food, friendship, Podcasts, reading, TV
I have spoken about podcasts and how much I love them here so many times before. Here are some of my favourites and as an added bonus recent episodes I have listened to that I just loved (please click on the image to get the episode that I loved).
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, working
Tagged books, Call Your Girlfriend, Ear Hustle, Favourites, Fresh Air, Guns, Hidden Brain, Hillary Rodham Clinton, HRC, love, Podcasts, prison, Robert Peace, Roxanne Gay, stuff about me, stuff I like
Posted in Heart matters, home, life, marriage, working
Tagged cooking, diet, economics, eggplant, Gordon Ramsay, hospitality, kitchen, marriage, migration, motherhood, periods, Podcasts, Sunday Reads, women and work, xenophobia
I consume a lot of stuff online or on television and I know that the stuff I like best is anything that I can read and feel in some ways that it represents my inner voice. Like what you ask?
- Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. In many ways she is my inner voice from when I was 16 until now at 32 – she is what the inner me wants to be.
- Cup of Jo. This blog is what I wish that my own little corner of the internet would grow up to be.
- Call your Girlfriend. This podcast reminds me of conversations I would have with my best gal pal and sans the cursing. As the tag line promises, it is the podcast for long distance besties which we happen to be.
- Julia Braverman and her family because I REALLY loved the show Parenthood.
- Tamar and Vince. Something about this show reminds me of the Mr and I . I also say that Tamar is the inner last born I always wish my family allowed me to be.
- Randal and Beth Pearson from This is Us is another portrayal of how I think the Mr and I relate to each other. If ever there was a couple on TV that I would happily squeal #Relationshipgoals it would be them.
And you, who/ what represents that inner voice?
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged about us, blogs i like, Call Your Girlfriend, Cup of Jo, friendship, Gilmore Girls, marriage, parenthood, Podcasts, Relationship Goals, Tamar Braxton, This is Us, TV
Posted in Heart matters, home
Tagged Africa, Cape Town, children, female friendship, friends, friendship, history, Johannesburg, life, Podcasts, race
- Discovering a lovely brand of tea.
- Sleeping in on a Saturday morning during the BSF break.
- A wonderful chat with my sisters and friends.
- I read my first Bessie Head (Maru) this week and it was lovely.
- Successfully parallel (flash) parking in one attempt.
- Trying a recipe and immediately knowing you will do it again.
- Enjoying Season 7 of My Kitchen Rules.
- Seeing my nephew and niece as they start to interact as siblings.
- Really enjoying the study of James. Quite challenging but very interesting.
- Discovering a great podcast and then going back to download all 80 episodes
Posted in books, Heart matters, home
Tagged Bessie Head, Book of James, BSF International, cooking, driving, friendship, My Kitchen Rules, Podcasts, recipes, siblings, sister love, tea
Posted in life, working
Tagged break-up, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, France Votes, Le Pen, life lessons, migration, Podcasts, Rachel Dolezal, recipes, relationships, slavery, working
Posted in Heart matters, home, life, working
Tagged Africa, Christianity, DIY, Kenya, life lessons, motherhood, Nairobi, PhD, Podcasts, Refugees, Uganda
A friend recommended NPR’s Tiny Desk and this week I gave it a go and discovered the most delightful band, The Suffers. I love the soulfulness of the lead singers voice, their lyrics are so dreamy and I just know that the lead singer and I would get on famously.
Below are some videos that have been entertaining me.
What I’m listening to: NPR’s Hidden Brain. Haven’t really gotten into any new music of late. So happy to take any suggestions in the comments.
What I’m reading: Introduction to African Religion by John Mbiti; The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna.
What I’m wearing: Blue nail polish on my toes because nothing says summer quite like that.
What we’re watching: Just finished Shameless Season 5 and waiting to continue onto season 6. Trying to get time to get into Billions.
What I’m struggling with: My inner critic particularly professionally. Also, trying to maintain my theme to stay connected to some of my friends and acquaintances.
What’s making my heart happy: BSF, Downton Abbeys’ last season, Woolworths Spicy Chai tea
Inspired by Joy at Frock Files
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, life
Tagged Aminatta Forna, Billions, books, Heart matters, Hidden Brain, home, life, Podcasts, religion, Shameless, tea
Posted in books, design, home, life, school, working
Tagged books, cooking, design, home, life, motherhood, Nidhi Chanani, PhD, Podcasts, rape, reading, recipes, Russia, school, surrogacy, The Atlantic, working
I have enjoyed posting so much this year and pushing myself to write more, write in different formats or on different topics than the typical ones I would. Thanks for the reads, sharing and comments!
- My theme this year was on obedience.
- Listened to great music too!!
- Took care of myself!!
- Really got into podcasts.
- Ten little things I enjoyed this year (the first of many similar posts)
- I hurt when the Xenophobic attacks broke out! In February. Twice.
- Read a lot about women struggling with infertility.
- Cooked some nice things.
- Read some good and bad books!! The invention of wings was easily my book of the year.
- Made a personal announcement too!!
Enjoy and looking forward to 2016!!
Posted in books, design, good, Heart matters, home, life, madness, marriage, school, working
Tagged about me, books, Cape Town, cooking, design, dot, good, Heart matters, home, life, little things, madness, marriage, motherhood, music, Podcasts, reading, school, theme verse, working, xenophobia