I have a friend who is a maverick at making friends. One on one, she seems incredibly shy but I love her attitude to making friends and how deliberate she is about it all. So when I think to myself that I would like to make friends, I always think of some kind of organised activity that brings people together on the regular.
When I think of this though I always wonder how I would go about starting one because it involves putting myself out there in some way or another which is not exactly my thing. But, if / when I get over this hurdle, these are some things I would like to do:
- Listen to a key podcast each month and then meet and discuss
- Start an article club – pick a Longread article and then chat about it
- Pick a cuisine and then assign various parts of the meal (starter, protein, desserts, salad) to different people and thus have a supper club or a cookbook club if you are fancier.
- Good old Book club
- Board games with a group of friends, I really have mine eye on this one.
- A cheese/ wine tasting club.
Do you live in Joburg, would you be keen to do any of this with me and meet some new people?
Posted in Heart matters, life
Tagged book club, Books reading, cooking, female bonding, female friendship, friends, friendship, host friends, Podcasts, Things to do around Joburg
Where are you going. You cannot leave with so many pieces of me still inside you. How will I ever put myself back together again.
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, life, marriage, Motherhood/ Parenting, working
Tagged belief, faith, Heart matters, Kenyan elections, motherhood, parenting, Podcasts, recipes, recommendations, Sunday Reads, technology, travel, women at work
Posted in home
Tagged #MeTooPhd, bible god, economics, faith, Game of Thrones, motherhood, Podcasts, poetry, recipes, recommendations, Sunday Reads
I miss my gal pals the most when I see stuff like this that we could do together .
I particularly think of the things that I have missed out on with my better female friends: baby showers, bridal showers, high tea, being able to do random things together, road trips, dinners, first homes, come meet my new guy, the new baby, watch a new show together and laugh about it – just a lot of stuff. Yes, IRL I have friends and people I do this but it’s also different.
From the blog post:
I particularly love #2,6, 9 and have done #3 – adult baking dates are awesome – 10, 13.
The comments as usual provides such gems and so here is my to do with a friend list.
- Volunteer together at a cause that’s meaningful to either or both of us.
- More concerts – I watched John Legend with a pal and her cool mom and it was awesome!
- Coworking sessions. Yes to these.
- Sit together and read dates.
- Sleepovers with no husbands or kids.
- Pottery / learn something class.
- Try and commit to an exercise class together.
- Talk about podcast episodes we both love. Tried to get so many pals into this that I am glad I can do it with my sister and partly with The Mr.
- Watch TV shows together and make comments in between, ideally together or even if separately, concurrently.
- Same day road trips and do stuff along the way or at the destination.
- Supper club where each person brings one.
In fact, I decided to have a little snacks and games afternoon at my place next month! Done!!
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged baking, books, classes, Cup of Jo, exercise, female bonding, female friendship, food, friendship, Podcasts, reading, TV
I have spoken about podcasts and how much I love them here so many times before. Here are some of my favourites and as an added bonus recent episodes I have listened to that I just loved (please click on the image to get the episode that I loved).
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, working
Tagged books, Call Your Girlfriend, Ear Hustle, Favourites, Fresh Air, Guns, Hidden Brain, Hillary Rodham Clinton, HRC, love, Podcasts, prison, Robert Peace, Roxanne Gay, stuff about me, stuff I like
Posted in Heart matters, home, life, marriage, working
Tagged cooking, diet, economics, eggplant, Gordon Ramsay, hospitality, kitchen, marriage, migration, motherhood, periods, Podcasts, Sunday Reads, women and work, xenophobia
I consume a lot of stuff online or on television and I know that the stuff I like best is anything that I can read and feel in some ways that it represents my inner voice. Like what you ask?
- Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. In many ways she is my inner voice from when I was 16 until now at 32 – she is what the inner me wants to be.
- Cup of Jo. This blog is what I wish that my own little corner of the internet would grow up to be.
- Call your Girlfriend. This podcast reminds me of conversations I would have with my best gal pal and sans the cursing. As the tag line promises, it is the podcast for long distance besties which we happen to be.
- Julia Braverman and her family because I REALLY loved the show Parenthood.
- Tamar and Vince. Something about this show reminds me of the Mr and I . I also say that Tamar is the inner last born I always wish my family allowed me to be.
- Randal and Beth Pearson from This is Us is another portrayal of how I think the Mr and I relate to each other. If ever there was a couple on TV that I would happily squeal #Relationshipgoals it would be them.
And you, who/ what represents that inner voice?
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged about us, blogs i like, Call Your Girlfriend, Cup of Jo, friendship, Gilmore Girls, marriage, parenthood, Podcasts, Relationship Goals, Tamar Braxton, This is Us, TV
Posted in Heart matters, home
Tagged Africa, Cape Town, children, female friendship, friends, friendship, history, Johannesburg, life, Podcasts, race
- Discovering a lovely brand of tea.
- Sleeping in on a Saturday morning during the BSF break.
- A wonderful chat with my sisters and friends.
- I read my first Bessie Head (Maru) this week and it was lovely.
- Successfully parallel (flash) parking in one attempt.
- Trying a recipe and immediately knowing you will do it again.
- Enjoying Season 7 of My Kitchen Rules.
- Seeing my nephew and niece as they start to interact as siblings.
- Really enjoying the study of James. Quite challenging but very interesting.
- Discovering a great podcast and then going back to download all 80 episodes
Posted in books, Heart matters, home
Tagged Bessie Head, Book of James, BSF International, cooking, driving, friendship, My Kitchen Rules, Podcasts, recipes, siblings, sister love, tea
Posted in life, working
Tagged break-up, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, France Votes, Le Pen, life lessons, migration, Podcasts, Rachel Dolezal, recipes, relationships, slavery, working
Posted in Heart matters, home, life, working
Tagged Africa, Christianity, DIY, Kenya, life lessons, motherhood, Nairobi, PhD, Podcasts, Refugees, Uganda
A friend recommended NPR’s Tiny Desk and this week I gave it a go and discovered the most delightful band, The Suffers. I love the soulfulness of the lead singers voice, their lyrics are so dreamy and I just know that the lead singer and I would get on famously.
Below are some videos that have been entertaining me.
What I’m listening to: NPR’s Hidden Brain. Haven’t really gotten into any new music of late. So happy to take any suggestions in the comments.
What I’m reading: Introduction to African Religion by John Mbiti; The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna.
What I’m wearing: Blue nail polish on my toes because nothing says summer quite like that.
What we’re watching: Just finished Shameless Season 5 and waiting to continue onto season 6. Trying to get time to get into Billions.
What I’m struggling with: My inner critic particularly professionally. Also, trying to maintain my theme to stay connected to some of my friends and acquaintances.
What’s making my heart happy: BSF, Downton Abbeys’ last season, Woolworths Spicy Chai tea
Inspired by Joy at Frock Files
Posted in books, Heart matters, home, life
Tagged Aminatta Forna, Billions, books, Heart matters, Hidden Brain, home, life, Podcasts, religion, Shameless, tea
Posted in books, design, home, life, school, working
Tagged books, cooking, design, home, life, motherhood, Nidhi Chanani, PhD, Podcasts, rape, reading, recipes, Russia, school, surrogacy, The Atlantic, working
I have enjoyed posting so much this year and pushing myself to write more, write in different formats or on different topics than the typical ones I would. Thanks for the reads, sharing and comments!
- My theme this year was on obedience.
- Listened to great music too!!
- Took care of myself!!
- Really got into podcasts.
- Ten little things I enjoyed this year (the first of many similar posts)
- I hurt when the Xenophobic attacks broke out! In February. Twice.
- Read a lot about women struggling with infertility.
- Cooked some nice things.
- Read some good and bad books!! The invention of wings was easily my book of the year.
- Made a personal announcement too!!
Enjoy and looking forward to 2016!!
Posted in books, design, good, Heart matters, home, life, madness, marriage, school, working
Tagged about me, books, Cape Town, cooking, design, dot, good, Heart matters, home, life, little things, madness, marriage, motherhood, music, Podcasts, reading, school, theme verse, working, xenophobia
Posted in good, home, life, marriage
Tagged Adele, Cape Town, education, friendship, good, home, life, love, marriage, Podcasts, relationships, school, sweet potato
Posted in home
Tagged #Feesmustfall, babies, Cape Town, Castor oil, cauliflower, children, cooking, death, fashion, Gilmore Girls, hair, home, Koili, Korea, life, Netflix, Olive oil, parenthood, Podcasts, Quinoa, recipes, Rory Gilmore
Sent from me on a particularly long drive so enjoy!
- Very sad story about the depths that refugees take to get to better opportunities in the West. Particularly following the news of the two South African stowaways.
- Some beautiful musical sounds! h/t Miss Milli B
- Marriage is so many things but this is a choice that my mind cannot fully wrap itself around. I can’t even …
- Simple explanation(s) why there are fewer women in Tech and possible solutions.
- In case you ever wondered about cooking and what they eat in Space!
- Bye bye SOTRU! I actually feel like I am saying goodbye to a good friend.
- I was just speaking to a colleague about how to make good food cheap for the poorer folk to be able to eat wholesomely.
- A better question to ask in life: What did I learn rather than did I win?
- No more sorry for me!
- I literally licked my lips as I read this recipe for Morccaan Spiced Pumpkin and Chickpea stew 🙂
- YUM!!! And this Coconut Quinoa bowl.
- I have enjoyed reading about this project – to read across the world in one year – over the years and the preparation for the Audiobook is no different.
- I love this DIY Activity and would love to try it one day
Posted in home
Tagged cooking, DIY, food, home, life, marriage, migration, music, Podcasts, reading, recipes, Refugees, religion, SOTRU, STEM, women
I was challenged to do this post by a friend (snarky things these private blogs) so I will cite the initial source Karen.
“Grab a pen and paper, and list everything you love to do that fills you with joy and/or grace. It can be shooting photographs, or cooking, or taking a shower, or running a mile, or singing or whatever. Write deeply profound things, or silly little things, like organizing the junk drawer in your kitchen. Write until it exhausts you. Just write whatever fills you with joy or grace.”
In no particular order here are my favourites:
- Listening to Talk Radio and Podcasts.
- Reading. A good book, a great article, a lovely post. Even bad stuff, I will read as long as people write. I like the fact that reading allows a third dimension to come in and you can start to hear, smell or imagine stuff beyond what’s actually on the paper.
- Sitting with family to have easily six conversations running concurrently and speaking a mish-mash of all the different languages we speak or appropriating words to mean something new altogether.
- Chatting – whether on Gmail or on Whatsapp. I love the connection it gives me and the fact that it helps pass time.
- Getting a good work out and pushing my body really hard.
- Road trips with my Mr – gives us a chance to really talk and connect as well as listen to each others Music (his mainly).
- Cooking for family and seeing their appreciation S/O to my nephew who is so complimentary when you hit the happy spot. Also, getting a new cookbook and trying a new recipe and having it come out tasty and adding it to my repertoire of meals.
- Browsing in a bookstore or being in a Library. BOOKS, YUM!!!
- Journaling and my journals. I have journaled more on than off since I was 11 years old and have kept each of them.
- Writing lists. Anyone that knows me knows that I list everything for private and professional stuff. To-do lists, shopping lists, meeting notes, books to read, places to go, stuff I like – LISTS are my thang’
- Reading an applied Economics paper that answers a really practical and useful question and actually getting it.
- I make a mean cup of tea.
- Friendship – catching up with a pal and connecting whether on silly or deep things. Just connecting.
- Getting my hair done. Ok, I will say that again, getting my hair done.
- Going to Church and being in a room with other believers.
What about you, what’s on your crazy happy list?
Posted in books, design, Heart matters, home, life
Tagged about me, books, cooking, design, economics, family, fitness, friendship, Heart matters, home, life, lists, loves, Podcasts, tea