Possibly in a bid to cheer myself up after the last post, I found the following images of black women and it made me insanely happy so enjoy!!
Black is beautiful
Black is strong
Black is me and I love it!!
This beautiful bedroom. I pinned it because I love the seat at the foot of the bed and the simple lines and colours.
This young girls locs
I love the openness of this bathroom. Definitely appropriate for a master bedroom
This clever use of space.
Anything pretty caught your eye recently?
I went by this past weekend and it was truly the best use of my time. I enjoyed it and would happily recommend it to anyone. Below, some of the bits that best stood out for me.
I recently went to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe and all I can say of the trip is heat, beauty and Vic Falls. Wow, just wow!!!
Posted in good, Heart matters, home
Tagged Africa, beauty, God, Mosi-oa-Tunya, travel, travelling, Victoria Falls, Wonders of the World, Zimbabwe
- On the importance of community in marriage.
- Beautiful images of women.
- Famous logos – before and after.
- Me right now …
- This skirt seems fairly simple enough to stitch.
- On getting rid of all the pause/fillers we use in conversation.
- Love is a verb! Yep, like this!
- Not a fan of kale but this looks like a yummy salad and I love the dressing.
- All male panels in Development and 2016. Really?
- Desegragation and education of minorities. (NYT article)
- Books to inspire healthy eating.
- Taking care of your knives. I got so many knives as a wedding gift, so this is personally meaningful.
- Imagine finding out that what you think of your parents is not so.
- Considering all the stuff on HONY the past two weeks, this is so painful to imagine.
- Like her blog and this post because it had products that I could probably use.
- Probably the only review of Lemonade that resonates.
- Learnt a new word this week: syndemic!
- It is so true that children have to be taught to hate.
- This portrayal of beauty in Kenya over the last 100 years is NOT really representative in my eyes.
- I used to advocate for the death penalty.Not anymore.
- I really miss living in the same town as my best best friends. I said it!
- Love the show Blackish, very interesting to listen to the interview with the shows creator.
- Different recipes
Posted in books, design, Heart matters, life
Tagged beauty, Beyonce, Black-ish, books, Cancer, cooking, female friendship, HONY, Lemonade, parenthood, recipes, TV
Some beautiful pics I have taken recently ….
Some fabric to make a traditional dress
Some lunch for me …
Pasta, some veg and a bit of fish …
The revolution was run by women … #feesmustfall
It’s so sad to say goodbye …. ❤
Posted in design, good, Heart matters, home, life
Tagged #Feesmustfall, beauty, clothe, design, fabric, good, goodbye, Heart matters, home, life, lunch
…. Well I do, but probably not for the drama or any of that BUT because I simply love Jessica (Gina Torres)’s outifits. Below are a few that I would like to steal.
I feel like that sleeve would look silly if you saw it hanging on the shop hangar but somehow, it just works!
Just behold the cut on her bodice!
Even the really simple items have something memorable about them that she looks well turned out each time! I also love the length of the sleeve on the red dress.
You would think the bib would make her bust appear smaller,right? Wrong!
Posted in design, good
Tagged beauty, clothes, design, dresses, fashion, Gina Torres, good, Inspiration, style, Suits, work wear, working
Some great reads coming up from a less than warm Joburg morning 🙂
- Love this blogger, her pictures are spectacular. Check out her guide to the off-track places to visit in Joburg.
- Two very opposing views on Rihanna’s latest video. I watched the preview on the BET Awards then I caught twenty seconds of the actual video and I stopped. I think it’s gross and demeaning. View one, View two.
- Some reading lists from Africa and India.
- Some influential Africans to watch on Twitter.
- The blogger herself is actually quite a lovely writer too!
- In case you are wondering what to do with an overload of cauliflower and zuccini.
- I am not my hair. I have my hair natural and locked but I accept that different versions work for different African women and people should select what they like and work with that and not judge other women for choosing to do something different with their hair.
- I love this lady’s home. VERY MUCH!!
- Definitely trying out this Chicken/Rice recipe this weekend.
- Might also try this chicken and couscous salad recipe.
- Wanna know how your income fares globally? Try this Calculator here.
- More about how Uber enters markets.
- Very interesting conversation around amateur porn by Rashida Jones (Be warned, the content could be offensive for sensitive readers)
- Looking to volunteer your time at a worthy cause? Here is a site that connects volunteers to need.
- Do you love to learn something new each day?
Posted in home
Tagged Africa, beauty, Blogs, books, cauliflower, cooking, decor, economics, hair, home, India, Johannesburg, recipes, Rihanna, Twitter, Uber
I recently discovered this blog that posts a pic a day of the most beautiful homes. Seeing as I have recently moved and creating a home, these are some of the things I have been drooling about recently.
Love this little dining space
A moment for the colour of the wall!! Also love the table and the coffee tables.
Maybe just one of these at the foot of our bed
I like the imagery of the mismatched dinning chairs
Table for two? With the beautiful lighting fixture
Just the arrangement of this loft! The windows, the couches, the dining table. Just. ALL. Of. It
Now to pray for money to buy beautiful furnishings for our place!
Drove to Durban and back this past weekend with the Mr for a family funeral and took these two pics half an hour apart just as the sun came up.
Even in the saddest of moments, we are always reminded of God’s beauty and His power. RIP Uncle ..
Anything you have read this week that tickled your fancy?
This past weekend I met a little four year old girl who sat next to me, looked at my nails and asked “Why don’t you have nail polish?” In the most serious of tones. I sighed and tried to explain how nail polish on my fingers makes me so vain. She looked away. Bored.
*On a serious side note, it took coming to South Africa for me to stop saying cutex instead of nail polish. To any of my sisters, I am likely to ask for cutex but anywhere outside of the house, I am set to say “nail polish”.
Posted in home, madness
Tagged beauty, four year old, girls, home, little things Wednesday, madness, manicure, nail polish, South Africa, vanity
Please read and circulate this article widely!
It made such sense to me but what shocked me was when I sent it to some of my (Black) female friends and they too had personal experiences of similar propositions. THAT shocked me and made it real for me!
I came to a sad conclusion this past weekend while watching the Miss SA Pageant. So much for me being about women being free to do anything they want and pursue all their little heart’s desire. My revelation? I think very lowly of women who enter into beauty pageants. Very lowly. And then I asked myself why. I think it’s largely because I imagine they are vacuous women with high opinions about their own beauty (COUPLED WITH extremely high self esteem) to put themselves out there as they do and be crowned Miss This or Miss The Other. And this doesn’t matter how heavily it’s touted as beauty and/with purpose and all other similar connotations. I just think it’s petty and unnecessary and I get very judgmental about such women whom I am sure are beautiful both inside and outside and have such great roles to play in life and what have you. I just don’t buy it and I guess part of it is because of the fact that I feel like these beauty pageants are engendering stereotypes in young females (and males too) about what is beautiful and what is not. And that to me, in a society already obsessed with appearance, is inexcusable.