I have a friend who is a maverick at making friends. One on one, she seems incredibly shy but I love her attitude to making friends and how deliberate she is about it all. So when I think to myself that I would like to make friends, I always think of some kind of organised activity that brings people together on the regular.
When I think of this though I always wonder how I would go about starting one because it involves putting myself out there in some way or another which is not exactly my thing. But, if / when I get over this hurdle, these are some things I would like to do:
- Listen to a key podcast each month and then meet and discuss
- Start an article club – pick a Longread article and then chat about it
- Pick a cuisine and then assign various parts of the meal (starter, protein, desserts, salad) to different people and thus have a supper club or a cookbook club if you are fancier.
- Good old Book club
- Board games with a group of friends, I really have mine eye on this one.
- A cheese/ wine tasting club.
Do you live in Joburg, would you be keen to do any of this with me and meet some new people?