I miss my gal pals the most when I see stuff like this that we could do together .
I particularly think of the things that I have missed out on with my better female friends: baby showers, bridal showers, high tea, being able to do random things together, road trips, dinners, first homes, come meet my new guy, the new baby, watch a new show together and laugh about it – just a lot of stuff. Yes, IRL I have friends and people I do this but it’s also different.
From the blog post:
I particularly love #2,6, 9 and have done #3 – adult baking dates are awesome – 10, 13.
The comments as usual provides such gems and so here is my to do with a friend list.
- Volunteer together at a cause that’s meaningful to either or both of us.
- More concerts – I watched John Legend with a pal and her cool mom and it was awesome!
- Coworking sessions. Yes to these.
- Sit together and read dates.
- Sleepovers with no husbands or kids.
- Pottery / learn something class.
- Try and commit to an exercise class together.
- Talk about podcast episodes we both love. Tried to get so many pals into this that I am glad I can do it with my sister and partly with The Mr.
- Watch TV shows together and make comments in between, ideally together or even if separately, concurrently.
- Same day road trips and do stuff along the way or at the destination.
- Supper club where each person brings one.
In fact, I decided to have a little snacks and games afternoon at my place next month! Done!!
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged baking, books, classes, Cup of Jo, exercise, female bonding, female friendship, food, friendship, Podcasts, reading, TV
My sister recently made a comment about how I watch a lot of reality TV and initially I was taken aback but then I realised that she is right. So I decided not to edit myself and blog about Becoming Mrs Jones as it plays on Vuzu Amp.
- As I am not really a fan of Minnie Dlamini so I am largely indifferent and it will just be thoughts as they occur to me but firstly, I am not sure that we need this show – she says its a chance for her to take control of her story but I am just not convinced.
- Sweet touch to include her parents and let us know some of the background / growing up story. They are a very good looking family.
- As a foreigner, it’s always interesting to hear about people’s traditional practices – whether I agree with them or not.
- I don’t really like that she is seated so close to the camera talking – I suppose the ideas is to make it intimate but I don’t think it is flattering for her.
- ASIDE: So glad that we got married how we did because weddings now are such a big deal. There seems to be pressure to have the engagement filmed, then a larger than life engagement party topped by an even bigger wedding. Wowza!!
- I actually love her engagement ring. It’s gorgeous.
- Waiting to see the interaction between Mr and Mrs and I didn’t necessarily get that. The closest was them talking in the car but even then, it felt somewhat inauthentic. But, I still get their vybe and you cannot deny that they are a beautiful couple.
- It was a nice touch for her to take her mom and mom-in-law to the dress fitting. My wedding was so dramatic but in hindsight, I wish I had thought of getting my mom-in-law somehow involved.
- Watching her try on her dress, I was struck by the places I went to that made you take off your make up lest you make their dresses dirty. Clearly they were dodge places that I went to.
- Well scratch the bit about no interaction between them, I liked the fight before the surprise because y’all weddings are stressful.
- I like her philosphoy regarding how great their bridal party needed to look. We also felt the same way and insisted that each of them aim to look stunning and they certainly did.
Did you watch it? What did you think?
I consume a lot of stuff online or on television and I know that the stuff I like best is anything that I can read and feel in some ways that it represents my inner voice. Like what you ask?
- Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. In many ways she is my inner voice from when I was 16 until now at 32 – she is what the inner me wants to be.
- Cup of Jo. This blog is what I wish that my own little corner of the internet would grow up to be.
- Call your Girlfriend. This podcast reminds me of conversations I would have with my best gal pal and sans the cursing. As the tag line promises, it is the podcast for long distance besties which we happen to be.
- Julia Braverman and her family because I REALLY loved the show Parenthood.
- Tamar and Vince. Something about this show reminds me of the Mr and I . I also say that Tamar is the inner last born I always wish my family allowed me to be.
- Randal and Beth Pearson from This is Us is another portrayal of how I think the Mr and I relate to each other. If ever there was a couple on TV that I would happily squeal #Relationshipgoals it would be them.
And you, who/ what represents that inner voice?
Posted in Heart matters
Tagged about us, blogs i like, Call Your Girlfriend, Cup of Jo, friendship, Gilmore Girls, marriage, parenthood, Podcasts, Relationship Goals, Tamar Braxton, This is Us, TV
I happened to find this rough draft reviewing Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.
- I watched the show in bits which I thought was great. I am definitely not the kind of person that has to watch shows in one sitting.
- Before watching the show I remember thinking that Rory was the inner me as a teenager, and wondering whether she would embody me as a (Young) Adult in 2016. And did she? YEP!! She so did. Many times and again yes.
- Rory the overachiever who meets the real world? Did she peak too early?? In this story line I could very much see myself and how I am procrastinating on the PhD. I also had occasion to look back at my career and wonder whether it had been good enough!!! Still not sure, the jury is definitely out.
- I love how they speak of complex (Lorelai and Emily) and simple (Lorelai and Rory) mom-daughter relationships. Not a one sizer at all. I also love how the updated show switched up these dynamics.
- Luke and Lorelai. Comfortable but yearning for more. Their dynamic totally made me think of the Mr and I and our dynamics.
- Lorelai and Luke’s wedding made me want to get married again?
- The MUSICAL??? What the hell was that for? We could definitely have given it a miss and the show would have been so much better.
- Love the reference to current culture. Hamilton, The Wild, Marie Kondo, Uber (Oooba). Love it!!
- Loved that Richard was part of the show despite his death. Very touching.
- #Teamlogan. Back then and still to date. As a married person though, I did not like how this story line played out.
- Wasn’t sure that we were meant to believe that Rory needed three phones. In 2016? Really???
- Cliff hanger of an ending!!! Does this mean there will be a second one late next year? Please say yes!!!
Did you watch the show? What were your thoughts (if you can remember)?
Posted in home, life, school, working
Tagged adulting, Gilmore Girls, growing up., Lorelai, Luke, marriage, motherhood, reviews, Rory, TV
I have enjoyed my annual post every day in October challenged and it’s only fitting to end with the Gilmore Girls trailer.
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE 25TH OF NOVEMBER. OH MY HEART!!!
- Books to inspire healthy eating.
- Taking care of your knives. I got so many knives as a wedding gift, so this is personally meaningful.
- Imagine finding out that what you think of your parents is not so.
- Considering all the stuff on HONY the past two weeks, this is so painful to imagine.
- Like her blog and this post because it had products that I could probably use.
- Probably the only review of Lemonade that resonates.
- Learnt a new word this week: syndemic!
- It is so true that children have to be taught to hate.
- This portrayal of beauty in Kenya over the last 100 years is NOT really representative in my eyes.
- I used to advocate for the death penalty.Not anymore.
- I really miss living in the same town as my best best friends. I said it!
- Love the show Blackish, very interesting to listen to the interview with the shows creator.
- Different recipes
Posted in books, design, Heart matters, life
Tagged beauty, Beyonce, Black-ish, books, Cancer, cooking, female friendship, HONY, Lemonade, parenthood, recipes, TV
Some lovely reads this week as you can see below.
- Goodbye Downton Abbey
- A Vietnamese coffee cake
- Cooking with cauliflower. Ten recipes.
- … specifically this cauliflower risotto. YUM!!
- Go big or go home in relation to Nigerian Weddings. Thank God we did not have that pressure way back when …
- Restoring the world’s oldest library.
- This broke my heart this week. Teenagers who kill in order to become famous or get a following. JUST SAD!!
- I am really keen for Fuller House. Nostalgia, much?
- Again, why women friendships are the bomb diggity!
Historically, friendships between women provided them with attention, affection and an outlet for intellectual or political exchange in eras when marriage, still chiefly a fiscal and social necessity, wasn’t an institution from which many could be sure of gleaning sexual or companionate pleasure.
For many women, friends are our primary partners through life; they are the ones who move us into new homes, out of bad relationships, through births and illnesses. Even for women who do marry, this is true at the beginning of our adult lives, and at the end — after divorce or the death of a spouse.
Enjoy and have a lovely Sunday.
Posted in design, good, life
Tagged cake, cauliflower, design, Downton Abbey, egomaniacs, Fuller House, good, library, life, Nigeria, recipes, Risotto, teenagers, TV, weddings, women, women friendships
- Its a sad day when Ice and Coco have their own reality show. I mean, what do we wanna know from them?
- I oddly totally like Khloe and Lamar. I think they are a lovely (TV) couple. Very chilled and believable.
- Please don’t let Kim and her man have a spin-off reality show? Please?
- I am not a parent, but, Kimora Lee’s kids are all you need not to mix parenting and any sort of money or privilege. They are such spoilt little so and so’s.
- Please DSTV could you bring a new season of Whose Wedding is it anyway.
- And the original one, not the spin off: surprising the bride or bride v groom. Nah, just the original edition please.
- Masterchef Australia! YUMMY Don’t know about the South African one, but I hope they continue with the third season of it!
- My new secret love like is Come dine with me. But as I don’t feel too passionately about it, I actually can’t wait for the local version and snoop on people’s homes!
Wanted to hit ten, but 8’s just as perfect, yeah. The sad thing about reality TV is that its inane, mindless and sometimes un-inspired but day after day or each week, we tune in and feed on it some more. Eeek!