- Follow first hand accounts of a former homebody on WordPress.com
Categories I write about
Themes that tag at my heartabout me about us Africa beauty Being Black belief bible god Bible Study blogging books Books reading Cape Town children Christianity cooking design dot economics education faith family fashion female friendship food friends friendship God good growing up. growth hair Heart matters home home decor Johannesburg Kenya language life life lessons lists love loves madness marriage me misc motherhood music Nairobi Nigeria parenthood parenting pasta recipe Pinterest Podcasts race random random musings reading recipes relationships school South Africa Sunday Reads tea travel Uganda Urban dictionary weddings weddings. planning women women and work words we need work working
Tag Archives: faith
This song is giving me pause in this season of my life. God still moves, He still works, He breaks all chains and He can work even where situations seem dead and hopeless.
- The lies parents tell to keep peace and sanity around the house.
- May the Church of God continue to stand strong always.
- Just read a bit of the Word, regardless.
- This little baby made my day.
- These lessons can easily apply to any new job.
- Oh New York how much I love thee
In this season of late nights and quiet early mornings, of little cries and fussy babies I am learning three truths about God and really reflecting on that.
- God the Creator. Throughout the pregnancy I have seen how God creates little beautiful people and the level of care and His great attention to detail. His ways make sense and when you read the Science behind it all, you cannot help but worship Him deeper and love Him even more.
- God the Provider. Isaiah 49:15 talks about how just as mother will never forget the child she is breastfeeding so also God will never forget us and will always show us compassion because He has engraved us on the palms of His hands. God knows all the details of our lives and He sees to all our needs from the small to the large. He is our Source and Sustainor.
- God is Love. I love my daughter and it sometimes overwhelms me just how much the little lady has captivated us and then I think that God loves me even more than that. That He loved me so much that He sent His only begotten Son to die for me. Oh how He loves us!!
What does God mean to you as we approach this Easter season?
- How do you talk to kids about attacks on their faith?
- Economics meets theology, I love it!
- How to Discern God’s Will in Your Workplace
- I pray for strong faith like this Chinese Pastors‘.
- In case you are looking for some book inspiration …
- …. also how to get more reading done.
- I love it when Economics solves an actual problem.
- Enjoyed the writing not so much the subject of this profile.
- This Humans of New York story just broke me.
- I struggle with a proper Christian view of comfort.
- Planning a trip to Greater Nairobi?
- How not to parent.
- For those that have people in their lives that don’t read but want to get started.
- What happens to your body when you stop drinking alcohol?
- When you are serving looks.
- Visit Joburg’s Little Addis.
- Facing the future with God.
- The more I read about it, the more I think America is like any other African country 😦
I recently went through an exercise to define my top values in life and it made me very reflective because values are something you never think of until someone crosses it then you realise, woah! something is off here.
- My faith in God is something that I feel very strongly about and hope that people realise when they meet me. It guides my decisions, my reactions and my feelings through life. I believe in One God, the Father the Almighty, One God in Three Persons, He died and rose again and will return. That God, even when things in life go against this thinking, my prayer is I stand in my belief in God.
- Family is very important to me. Loyalty to family, love for family. Enjoying your family. My sisters are truly God’s best gift to me and if we weren’t related, I would still want to know. My folks are the bomb.com. I always say that I would pay good money to live with them for a month some where. With the Mr, the idea is to make our home a home so we both have this enabling and loving environment where we both return to and just want to dwell in and enjoy each other. As you get older and refine your circle of friends, you ostensibly end up with friends that are like family and it is important to cherish those as well and invest in them. Friendship is important.
- Serving God and fellow man is another thing of importance to me. If I do not give back to those that are less fortunate, if I am not moved by the plight of those less fortunate than me, then what I have is not worth it. Serving in Church is an expression of my faith and that must be done but I also still delight in that.
- Working hard and being my best given my constraints is important. I love to set goals and work towards them and that feeling of meeting them and sometimes even exceeding expectations is so refreshing. I am not so concerned about being the first or the best, but being my best is good enough.
- How I work hard is by being resilient. I take stock of the failure or the setbacks and then moving forward. I care about meeting my goals and not giving up when things are tough or not going as well as I expected.
- Stability and Freedom that often comes from being educated or being financially stable. Also, from having family or friends do what they say they will, when they will do it. It helps clarify life and make things much simpler for you to really perform at that optimum level. As a worker, I also find that I like the autonomy to make my own decisions and work at my own pace as opposed to being micro-managed.
- Fun and Play because you need to refresh, slow down and enjoy the successes otherwise they are useful and you do not perform at your optimum. For me this looks like reading books, listening to music, hanging with friends and family, journaling, watching telly or traveling.
What are your top values? What defines you and makes you unique?
43 So the Lord gave Israel all the land he had sworn to give their ancestors, and they took possession of it and settled there.
44 The Lord gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their ancestors. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the Lord gave all their enemies into their hands.
45 Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
Joshua 21:45 (NIV)
This year’s study of BSF begun with the book of Joshua and I am in awe of God and His faithfulness to His Word and His Character. God never lies and He can be depended on always as we see in these three remarkable verses above. I can trust God with my present and future cares, wishes and thoughts. He can be trusted.
I have also learnt about obedience through Joshua’s response to God’s commands. He was swift in His obedience and He always trusted that God would come through for him and the Israelites. How was he so sure? Because he abided in God’s word and spent time in prayer such that he knew what to ask, how to trust and how to obey. I want that, don’t you?
- Show some love for my new hood.
- What was the first meal you cooked for your beloved other? I went with lamb, not sure why!!
- Podcasts by black women, for black moms.
- I love how this former lesbian talked about her Christian faith.
- Sometimes false Christian theology masquerades itself in variously.
- Don’t dumb yourself down for a marriage partner!
- 10 Outstanding Short Stories to Read
- Essential Indian Street Food
- On being young, overeducated and struggling to find employment.
- How do you pick yourself up after failure?
- Faith in the workplace.
- For those looking to get married, here is an ebook you can enjoy as you prepare yourself.
- Lost and found in Tokyo.
- How you can help refugees in your town.
- A Tour of Johannesburg Food Trucks
Some mellow songs to soak in …
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (NIV)
- When God Withholds Something Good
- The case for going to Church while on vacation.
- Very important to critically review the lyrics of popular Worship songs.
- Anyone looking for book recommendations from TED Speakers.
- A book on xenophobia in South Africa.
- How hard are we pushing ourselves and how do we regulate that?
- Staying the distance when you have a lot to get through.
- Great to see Uganda topping a positive list.
- A Dad’s survival guide to his wife’s pregnancy.
- Some songs to play for your dad today 🙂
7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left,that you may be successful wherever you go.
8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7-9)
True success is found in meditating on the Word of God and in carefully obeying His precepts. I will be honest and say that this is not how I often think of success but my prayer is that for the days to come, this is how I would view it and by the grace of God attempt to live my life out like this.
- A great cup of tea – my sister recently got me some passion and lime tea from Kenya and it is YUM!
- Long lazy weekends.
- Discovering a lovely little restaurant and liking it.
- Church services at 12 O’clock in the Fall/ Winter months.
- One-on-one heartfelt chats with friends.
What about you?
Where are you going. You cannot leave with so many pieces of me still inside you. How will I ever put myself back together again.
- Breaking up with your phone.
- The loneliness of motherhood.
- Podcast recommendations for kiddos.
- On raising a boy.
- Women and their self selection into low-status and/or low-paying jobs.
- Mhhhh, the true state of media in Kenya.
- I can’t imagine purging any books but this is how you could go about it.
- Hospitality and church planting go together.
- Women and active ministry.
- Black Panther will inspire a lot of hair styles.
- Do you Airbnb during your travels?
- Are you part of a momarazzi crew?
“To all the little girls out there,
we will set fire to this world
that steals your childhoods
and stops you from being
everything you want to be,
and build you a better one from the ashes,
the kind of world that treasures you
for all your powerful capabilities.”
– Nikita Gill, Women’s March 2018
- Improving your productivity when you work from home.
- Books on female friendship – I immediately got Sula, Toni Morrison.
- What some people will do to get married to the person of their choice.
- Helping your children to read the Bible.
- I would like a friend that keeps me accountable.
- I have been having Presidential Dinners.
- Tough circumstances but very important lessons for Christians in the Marketplace.
- Chimamanda on motherhood.
- I love me some “This is Us“