- Follow first hand accounts of a former homebody on WordPress.com
Categories I write about
Themes that tag at my heartabout me about us Africa beauty Being Black belief bible god Bible Study blogging books Books reading Cape Town children Christianity cooking design dot economics education faith family fashion female friendship food friends friendship God good growing up. growth hair Heart matters home home decor Johannesburg Kenya language life life lessons lists love loves madness marriage me misc motherhood music Nairobi Nigeria parenthood parenting pasta recipe Pinterest Podcasts race random random musings reading recipes relationships school South Africa Sunday Reads tea travel Uganda Urban dictionary weddings weddings. planning women women and work words we need work working
Tag Archives: recommendationsQuote
Enthusiastic recommendations for reads that will provide you with abundant reasons to rejoice, reflect or recharge, as suggested by TED speakers and TED-Ed educators. If you’re searching for some calm The Peace of Wild Things: And Other Poems by Wendell Berry This little book of poetry is my current morning dose of calm, and I use…
In case you are looking for some great reading recommendations and some great TED talks to listen to.
In the past couple of weeks I have listened to some really interesting podcast episodes that I thought I should share.
- Before The Next One – This American Life
Is Ron Brown High School Working? – Code Switch
- The Sports Trilogy (Episode 349 – 351) – Freakonomics
- Catch a Kite 3 – Ear Hustle
- Be a Good Ancestor – Call your Girlfriend
- Blacklisted in China – Planet Money
Have you listened to something interesting recently?
I have read a couple of great books but recently I just hit a brick wall and can’t seem to get into anything. So I have a couple of books that I am trying to get into:
- The Female Persuasion – Meg Woltzer
- A Little Life – Hanya Yanagihara
- The Blessed Girl – Angela Makholwa
- The Gold Diggers: A Novel – Sue Nyathi
- What we Lose – Zinzi Clemmons
- Half a Lifelong Romance – Ellen Chang
Have you read any of these books and if so, in what order would you recommend them?
- Show some love for my new hood.
- What was the first meal you cooked for your beloved other? I went with lamb, not sure why!!
- Podcasts by black women, for black moms.
- I love how this former lesbian talked about her Christian faith.
- Sometimes false Christian theology masquerades itself in variously.
- Don’t dumb yourself down for a marriage partner!
- 10 Outstanding Short Stories to Read
- Essential Indian Street Food
I recently discovered H.E.R. and love some of her songs.
Enjoy your weekend!
- When God Withholds Something Good
- The case for going to Church while on vacation.
- Very important to critically review the lyrics of popular Worship songs.
- Anyone looking for book recommendations from TED Speakers.
- A book on xenophobia in South Africa.
- How hard are we pushing ourselves and how do we regulate that?
- Staying the distance when you have a lot to get through.
- Great to see Uganda topping a positive list.
- A Dad’s survival guide to his wife’s pregnancy.
- Some songs to play for your dad today 🙂
Where are you going. You cannot leave with so many pieces of me still inside you. How will I ever put myself back together again.
- Breaking up with your phone.
- The loneliness of motherhood.
- Podcast recommendations for kiddos.
- On raising a boy.
- Women and their self selection into low-status and/or low-paying jobs.
- Mhhhh, the true state of media in Kenya.
- I can’t imagine purging any books but this is how you could go about it.
- Hospitality and church planting go together.
- Women and active ministry.
- Black Panther will inspire a lot of hair styles.
- Do you Airbnb during your travels?
- Are you part of a momarazzi crew?
- Podcasts for the economist / development practitioner on holiday.
- Game of Thrones meets poetry
- On waiting eagerly and patiently.
- On building your instincts.
- Trusting God through financial difficulty
- Loss in motherhood will always defeat me.
- The hashtag #MeTooPhD had me shaken.
- Styling a charcuterie and cheese board.
- Butternut humus sounds like a good idea.
- Did someone say seafood and rice in a pilaf?