- Follow first hand accounts of a former homebody on WordPress.com
Categories I write about
Themes that tag at my heartabout me about us Africa beauty Being Black belief bible god Bible Study blogging books Books reading Cape Town children Christianity cooking design dot economics education faith family fashion female friendship food friends friendship God good growing up. growth hair Heart matters home home decor Johannesburg Kenya language life life lessons lists love loves madness marriage me misc motherhood music Nairobi Nigeria parenthood parenting pasta recipe Pinterest Podcasts race random random musings reading recipes relationships school South Africa Sunday Reads tea travel Uganda Urban dictionary weddings weddings. planning women women and work words we need work working
Tag Archives: Urban dictionary
- RTWT – Read The Whole Thread
- I suppose middle class parents mean well but the cost of intensive parenting is rather steep.
- Loved the reasons that kids threw tantrums, so hilarious but i suppose not for the parents.
- I want to check out this Art bar in Braamfontein.
- Being a good friend at all times is quite tough but beneficial.
- An ode to female friendships
A condition in which someone feels compelled to constantly bring things that make them look good in casual conversation. It can be the same thing every time or a variety of things; as long as the subtle or obvious aim is to make themselves sound or look cool, it’s a flex, and if it happens all the time, it’s chronic. It’s most obvious when a detail is tossed in that is really unnecessary for any other purpose than flexing.
A variation of ghosting, in which the ghoster continues indirect contact with the ghosted by liking and faveing his or her social media content.
- How do you talk to kids about attacks on their faith?
- FOMO and the Christian.
- Isn’t this so cute of Prince Charles?
- Representation is everything.
- How do chefs work around their own food allergies while at work?
- Women and emotional labour
- Food unites immigrants
- Racism and poverty are systematic.
- Male friendships are not always easy to understand or appreciate.
- Not sure what must be done so the Gun problem in America is fixed.
- We all have stories of the first night you met your in-laws.
- I struggle with a proper Christian view of comfort.
- Planning a trip to Greater Nairobi?
- How not to parent.
- For those that have people in their lives that don’t read but want to get started.
- What happens to your body when you stop drinking alcohol?
- When you are serving looks.
- Visit Joburg’s Little Addis.
- Facing the future with God.
- The more I read about it, the more I think America is like any other African country 😦
So I AM VERY loyal in a friendship but will once in a while call things to a head when they are just not working between a friend and I. So this is how I go about that whole process.
- Take time and think through the entire life of the friendship, the good, the bad and the ugly. Grieve even if you need to.
- Be honest about the issues that did not make you happy and why you can’t be in the friendship anymore.
- Decide if you want to ghost the friend or if you want to speak to them about it. My key determinant is always: is there a chance that you might make up later or is this the end of the friendship?
- If I am going to say something, I always email the friend because it gives them room to process without the added pressure of having to think or say something in response.
- If, and as it often happens, they are part of a bigger friendship group then I force myself to be mature enough that not everyone will feel as I do and that their friendship with others need not end because of me. However, I make it clear that my stuff will not and should not be shared with the ex-pal.
Have you ever ended a friendship? How did you do it and did you and the pal make up?
- Food is a way of travelling for instance to Laos.
- I love this cute love story of how they met ❤
- I am doing a Whole 30 in June with a pal. Looking forward. Some meal inspirations here and here.
- Some ways to teach your kids about money.
- We are all guilty of e-bailing at some point or another.
- Maybe a bad feminist call but this article about female priests in the Catholic church pissed me off some.
- I rather enjoyed this article about whether you are your moms favourite kid.
- Clean daily to help you stay on top of your household needs.
- Learning to pray – we all need some tips at time.
- Such a weird YouTube phenomenon: watching people eat food.
- I really enjoyed this read about sexual purity being less about waiting than actually being pure because of who God is in our lives.
- Questions we ask new moms but not new dads.
- I love this lady’s style – it is so me.
- Eeeuw, commuting in Tokyo is gross.
- Great short story recommendations.
- What the different clothes at the Premier of Black Panther mean.
- Deface: losing a friend on Facebook.
- Contact Shame: When you watch or see something so embarrassing that you feel embarrassed; feels like you had something to do with it.
- HRC was right about how white straight and married women cost her the vote.
- How marriage engenders privilege.
- Yes to the suggestion for “OPW,Where are they Now?’
- These recommendations of books about coming to America are great, but Behold the Dreamers trumps them all.
- Rare that I recommend a short story, but this was a nice one I recently read.
- I love seeing what people pack for lunch and wish this curiosity could also fall upon me.
- Quick make-ahead dinner recipes.
- Spring salads to try.
The state of ignorance towards popular internet memes; the description of a person who does not recognise 90% of internet jokes. origins: internet + naive
I sometimes feel this way with a close group of female friends and so when I saw this word on Urban Dictionary, it totally made sense.
As I also have friends who I treat like this, the lesson was more about making sure that I do better with these people in my life Incidentally, I also read a post yesterday about increasing your social network and yesterday as I left for home,I bumped into a friend of a friend I had met a couple of weeks back and it turned out that she lives a few streets from me so we drove home together.
Lesson to self? Be more open minded and look for ways to get out of my comfort and involve people that would typically be on the fringes or in this case, who would be classified as shelf friends.
All these words are from Urban Dictionary. Yuje disclaimer is that there are some very sexualised and irreligious terms there so tread with care!
The noise someone makes when they want to let you know they are in a bathroom stall
A text message containing information (usually unflattering or damaging) about a third party which is sent to the individual it concerns rather than the person for whom the communication is intended.
When a person in casual conversation drops extremely depressing information in an order to derail the conversation to a more depressing state.
When you send or receive a text that is so long that you need to scroll down.
An insincere apology or expression of regret, often blaming the aggrieved party for being offended or bringing up an irrelevant topic to distract.
A female who conforms to her surroundings and claims she is unique. She often drinks Starbucks, wears Ugg boots in August, and posts selfies on social networking sites every. single. day. Also uses hashtags that don’t have anything to do with the picture itself.
Short form for “usual”.
When your phone or tablet indicates that you are connected to a wireless network, however you are still unable to load webpages or use any internet services with your device
Morning (AM) bowel movement (BM). The first poop of the day, almost always taken immediately upon awakening in the morning.
1. Purposely stinking up the toilet before your roommate or significant other needs to use the bathroom.
2. Walking into the bathroom after forgetting you took a stinky dump just minutes earlier.
2. Walking into the bathroom after forgetting you took a stinky dump just minutes earlier.
I think craptrap, nonpology and lie-fi are my best and will definitely get added into my daily vocabulary.
Again, another edition of words we need from Urban Dictionary.
Accidental explosive diarrhea caused by consuming a dairy product by a lactose intolerant person.
Living proof that money can’t buy good hair.
a person who’s gender is indecipherable
Someone who takes selfies in dangerous situations or circumstances.
When a small group or crowed suddenly realizes that someone has emitted a silent but nasty fart and they all look among themselves for facial expressions or body language that might pinpoint the perpetrator.
A poop that comes on so suddenly that one fears they may not be able to make it to the toilet.
Someone or something that exudes an aura of pedophilia, such as a creepy old man with candy or an older van with tinted windows
Edited to add: Also check out these 20 words from a recent TEDTalk
Again, another opportunity to skim through Urban Dictionary and look at words that the English Dictionary seriously needs to consider.
A child had by a celebrity just for the attention. Usually given a bizarre name, because who cares what the child has to go through growing up, they’re just a kidcessory.
A distinct, 21st century fear that a photograph or video posted on a social network medium will go viral and you will forever be immortalized in internet infamy.
Just about to hit send on a text message when you think better of it and stop.
When the pleasure you get watching something on TV comes from your hatred of it.
A well intentioned person who repeatedly agrees to do some type of charity work, but ultimately does not follow through with the commitment, often with an excuse at the last moment.
the frustrated feeling of being on the brink of something fantastic but never actually tasting that satisfaction.
the act of employees using their organization’s Internet access for personal purposes during work hours.
While texting a group of people you and one of the people in the group also have a private texting conversation.
Again, another opportunity to skim through Urban Dictionary to get words that we actually need.
TS: CNR Too Small; Could Not Read
Contact sad When you are made sad by other people’s negative comments or attitudes, usually through Facebook posts.
Stankface When you see someone who’s natural expression for that day or moment looks like a combination of being pissed off, and smelling something awful.
Sequelphobia You loved the original so much, when the sequel comes out you have Sequelphobia, because you have the fear it won’t live up to the original.
Smellfie To discretely sniff ones underarms for stank before venturing out in to public areas as to not offend other with fowl body odor.
Dunch not quite dinner but definitely past lunch.
First World Hungry When you have plenty of food to keep you well nourished, but you gluttonously want or desire more than you need. To “feel” hungry even though you ate today. As defined by Louis C.K. on March 29, 2014.
Runners Block a lack of will or reason to run. Often lasts weeks. Comparable to writer’s block.
Off to give it a goog so enjoy …
Following up from Version 1 and 2 here, I think it’s time for us to have another opportunity to laugh and enjoy ourselves. As always, visiting the site will cause you to either laugh or be put off by some of the other irreverent words they have daily.
n: someone who thinks about being an entrepreneur or starting a business but never gets started.
The art of ruining people’s selfies by appear behind them right when they tap on the capture button.
The complete opposite of a sugardaddy, one who tries, but is broke and fronting.
The period of time it takes between the fart and the recognition of the fart, from another person.
A group selfie; a picture one takes with themselves and many others in the photo. One takes an usie to be silly with friends and have fun taking random pictures of themselves.
to video chat someone and not say a word. you mostly just stare at the screen and type things to the other person who is engaged in a video chat with you.
Keep it on the down low. Keep it secret.
A household that is run by a pet. Specifically a dog. What the dog wants, it gets, and when it wants it. Typically the owners do not see the scenario at all and comment on their “wonderful pet”. Outsiders and friends though can see the caos and true pecking order.
Long winded, boring, nauseating, uninteresting description of an event or the story of someone’s life.
When a manager says “we” and means “you”
Much like in the game of chess, a bathroom stalemate is when two people are in a public restroom and neither wants to be the first to go, so both sit silently in their respective stalls as they wait for the other to leave, or for some loud noise to disguise their business.
Enjoy!!! Particularly liking the bathroom stalemate because just yesterday my sister told me about going into the loo at the same time as this girl that DROPPED IT enough for the whole loo of six stalls to stink up and have two people run away to wait for it to clear. After that situation, you can either let it become a bathroom stalemate or just run outta there!!
I have been blogging for a few years now and reading blogs for just as long and something that I have never quite figured out is how people get to review stuff on behalf of manufacturers or service providers? In particular, I would be interested to find out who approaches the other and on what basis? This is a bleg of note as I would love to be considered to review something (books, holidays, restaurants, anything). Please? Maybe? Thank you in advance!
Following from this post, I figured it was time to skim through Urban Dictionary again and come up with words that we actively use and need in formal language.
A person’s sidekick who texts for the driver
The act of being out in a social public setting (i.e. Restaurant, Cocktail Bar, Coffee shop) and only spending time on your mobile device; not the people with or around you.
When you’re with someone and run into an acquaintance of his/hers. They exchange greetings, which leads to a conversation, and you stand there smiling like a dummy wondering if you’ll ever be introduced.
A large gathering of bros on a mission to do one thing, to get bombed, tanked, or wasted usually ending in some people doing something stupid.
When someone types what should have been a message or email in a comment on a public board (example: facebook).
The feeling of regret after posting a particular item on Facebook, such as a status update, photo or video.
When you approach a member of the opposite sex to ask them out and they respond with a pitying smile
a burp laced with a little vomit, usually occurs when you’ve had one too many and it has become difficult to distinguish between the two aka vomiting in your mouth.
The act of arranging bacon strips on a frying pan in the most efficient way possible given the dimensions of your pan. The goal is to maximize the number of bacon strips on the heating surface without leaving any part of any strip uncooked.
A mode available in modern web browsers that doesn’t store any session information.
The act of delivering bad or unpleasant news via email at the very last point in the day, so as to purposely avoid being there when the response is received. Usually deployed just after 5pm or before going away on holiday.
Being too emotional, that eventually as a result, you fall asleep
Preemptively exhausted. When you are exhausted just by thinking about something.
I love that language is dynamic and reacts to some of the modern changes and stuff and we now have words from all over the place in the formal dictionary. Safari, anyone? But less formally, we have words like amazeballs that do slip in. I subscribe to Urban Dictionary and get a new word each day; below are some words that I would definitely recommend for general use:
People who preoccupy themselves with correcting the spelling and grammar of others – normally out of some self-esteem issue or desire to prove some value from their otherwise useless thirty-grand education.
A person that suddenly stops when they are walking right in front of another.
The frozen and contorted, usually mildly retarded looking, facial expression one makes for a few seconds before they let out a sneeze or when experiencing a “Sneezus Interruptus”.
Randomly adding anyone you come across on a social network, including complete strangers
The result of anxiety causing you to have crazy amounts of diarrhoea.
A measurement of time totaling 72 days. Became popular after Kim Kardashian’s highly-publicized marriage, which ended after 72 days. Listed as one of the up-and-coming words of 2012.
(abbreviation) stands for totally.
A moon landing is when two people’s naked butts bump as they bend over.
“fear of missing out”. The fear that if you miss a party or event you will miss out on something great
When a person makes it sound like they are apologizing when, in fact, they are just shifting the blame or using twisted logic to argue their way out of responsibility for their actions.
And my best:
when you eat so much, that your stomach looks pregnant
Some of their stuff is rather crude and sometimes irreligious so just be careful if you do venture there.