There are some things I randomly think of and I am reminded of growing up.
- A big Sunday breakfast with all the trimmings, then Church followed by a late big lunch and something light for dinner.
- For all our birthdays, we would buy a birthday card and hide it from the birthday girl as we all signed something heartfelt.
- Attending Carol service on Christmas Eve then coming home together to prepare for Christmas Day.
- Hearing your birth story from my mom and now that we are all dispersed, she calls at at the exact time you were born. I get my call at 8pm.
- When I was in high school, my sisters and I on a Friday night would dance together and just unwind.
What are some of your own family rituals?
*the title is from Asa’s latest album and probably has nothing to do with this post
Growing up, we had a wall map of Africa hanging in our dining area. Other than the endless hours of entertainment it provided, I also came up with the totally rad idea to get a kombi and drive up all the way from Nairobi through the Strait of Gibraltar and head to Spain for a holiday. I must have been around ten at the time and I kept thinking when I turned 21,
the golden age, I would do this. My father just smiled and only years later did I find out that so many others had caught onto this idea and were willing to die, suffer thirst and risk dying on the water in order to make this same journey.
What other memories do you have of being a kid that were dashed in your adult years?
Posted in home
Tagged church, home, memories