See the full list below.
Key: *** Highly Recommend ** Yeah, why not read it *Nah, only read if you have nothing else (No star) I have no feelings on the book
- The Believers – Rebecca Makkai ***
- Becoming – Michelle Obama *** I initially feared that the hype would be larger than the content of the book so I read it much later and I loved it. My only regret was by then all the book clubs had already met and discussed it.
- The Year that Changed Everything- Cathy Kelly. First of her reads and I loved it.
- It Started with Paris – Cathy Kelly.
- The Storyteller- Jodi Piccoult **Do terrible deeds define us or can we be someone else with time?
- Secrets of a happy marriage – Cathy Kelly
- Homecoming – Cathy Kelly.
- Dead to Me – Lesley Pearse. Love that it was about strong female friendships and personal endurance.
- Without a Trace – Lesley Pearse
- Just Mercy- Bryan Stevenson *** There is now a movie being made on this book, check it out.
- A River of Stars – Vanessa Hua. What a dud, don’t bother.
- Me and my Sisters – Sinead Moriarty
- The Secrets Sisters Keep – Sinead Moriarty
- Between Sisters – Cathy Kelly
- This Child of Mine – Sinead Moriarty. Skip it at all costs, this could have been a short story or a novella at best.
- Our Secrets and Lies – Sinead Moriarty
- Unnatural Causes – Richard Shepherd. This helped with my morbid fascination with dead bodies.
- The House on Willow Street – Cathy Kelly
- I owe you one – Sophie Kinsella
- Washington Black – Esi Edugyan. This was certainly an over hyped book, I wouldn’t recommend it.
- Home Fire – Kamila Shamsie *** I simply loved it, check it out.
My book of the year was The Great Believers. This book deals with the burden of being left behind to confront the memories of a sad time. Also, just how far we have come since the first days of the AIDS scourge. Please do yourself a favour and also read it.
Books I wanted to like but just.did.not: Washington Black
How many books did you get through last year?