There’s a crescendo of voices saying, ‘If you don’t do X or Y, you’re doing it wrong,’” Monk says. The result is “a kind of over-preciousness about motherhood. It’s obsessive, and it’s amplified by the Internet and social media.”
Posted in Heart matters, home
Tagged careers, daddymons, exercise, fatherhood, fitness, Grey's, growth, India, lessons for my daughters, motherhood, parenting, race, recipes, resilience, sin, tea, white, White guilt
Posted in design, Heart matters, working
Tagged church, Ethiopia, faith, female friendship, fitness, jobs, journaling, Muslim, women at work, working
I was challenged to do this post by a friend (snarky things these private blogs) so I will cite the initial source Karen.
“Grab a pen and paper, and list everything you love to do that fills you with joy and/or grace. It can be shooting photographs, or cooking, or taking a shower, or running a mile, or singing or whatever. Write deeply profound things, or silly little things, like organizing the junk drawer in your kitchen. Write until it exhausts you. Just write whatever fills you with joy or grace.”
In no particular order here are my favourites:
- Listening to Talk Radio and Podcasts.
- Reading. A good book, a great article, a lovely post. Even bad stuff, I will read as long as people write. I like the fact that reading allows a third dimension to come in and you can start to hear, smell or imagine stuff beyond what’s actually on the paper.
- Sitting with family to have easily six conversations running concurrently and speaking a mish-mash of all the different languages we speak or appropriating words to mean something new altogether.
- Chatting – whether on Gmail or on Whatsapp. I love the connection it gives me and the fact that it helps pass time.
- Getting a good work out and pushing my body really hard.
- Road trips with my Mr – gives us a chance to really talk and connect as well as listen to each others Music (his mainly).
- Cooking for family and seeing their appreciation S/O to my nephew who is so complimentary when you hit the happy spot. Also, getting a new cookbook and trying a new recipe and having it come out tasty and adding it to my repertoire of meals.
- Browsing in a bookstore or being in a Library. BOOKS, YUM!!!
- Journaling and my journals. I have journaled more on than off since I was 11 years old and have kept each of them.
- Writing lists. Anyone that knows me knows that I list everything for private and professional stuff. To-do lists, shopping lists, meeting notes, books to read, places to go, stuff I like – LISTS are my thang’
- Reading an applied Economics paper that answers a really practical and useful question and actually getting it.
- I make a mean cup of tea.
- Friendship – catching up with a pal and connecting whether on silly or deep things. Just connecting.
- Getting my hair done. Ok, I will say that again, getting my hair done.
- Going to Church and being in a room with other believers.
What about you, what’s on your crazy happy list?
Posted in books, design, Heart matters, home, life
Tagged about me, books, cooking, design, economics, family, fitness, friendship, Heart matters, home, life, lists, loves, Podcasts, tea
Anything you have read this week that tickled your fancy?