So I AM VERY loyal in a friendship but will once in a while call things to a head when they are just not working between a friend and I. So this is how I go about that whole process.
- Take time and think through the entire life of the friendship, the good, the bad and the ugly. Grieve even if you need to.
- Be honest about the issues that did not make you happy and why you can’t be in the friendship anymore.
- Decide if you want to ghost the friend or if you want to speak to them about it. My key determinant is always: is there a chance that you might make up later or is this the end of the friendship?
- If I am going to say something, I always email the friend because it gives them room to process without the added pressure of having to think or say something in response.
- If, and as it often happens, they are part of a bigger friendship group then I force myself to be mature enough that not everyone will feel as I do and that their friendship with others need not end because of me. However, I make it clear that my stuff will not and should not be shared with the ex-pal.
Have you ever ended a friendship? How did you do it and did you and the pal make up?