While I was on the plant based diet, I totally could not justify eating pasta so this week I have such a craving for pasta and want to cook some later in the week.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (or vegan butter or more olive oil)
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped sage leaves
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- big squeeze of lemon
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 4-6 oz. spaghetti or linguine (& save some pasta water)
- a few handfuls of chopped spinach (or kale or chard)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- grated pecorino cheese, optional, to taste
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast butternut squash cubes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes or until they’re soft and mostly cooked through. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Cook pasta in salty water until al dente and reserve at least 1 cup of the starchy pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter, then add the shallot and cook until translucent. Add the chopped sage and cook for another 30 seconds, then add the walnuts, chickpeas, butternut squash cubes, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the chickpeas and squash brown a bit (but before the garlic burns).
- Add a big squeeze of lemon and a good splash of balsamic and stir.
- Add the cooked pasta and spinach. Use tongs to gently toss the pasta with everything in the pan allowing the greens to wilt. Add pasta water to help loosen it (I used about ¼ cup).
- Add some grated pecorino at this step if you wish.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the chopped parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and serve with extra grated cheese.
Make this vegan by skipping the butter (or use vegan butter) and omit cheese. Make this gluten free by using gluten free pasta.