Pity I did not take any pictures but I will toot the horn of this vegan cake recipe that I recently tried out and it wasn’t half bad. I should probably have used more of the apple cider vinegar to make it lighter and fluffy so that is the goal for next time.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (230 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons (110 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (250 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease and line 3 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and whisk together until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together until the flour mixture disappears.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 pans (I used a kitchen scale to do this) and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the pans on wire racks for about 15 minutes. Then turn the cakes out of the pans onto the wire racks and cool completely before frosting.