I decided to take on the Blogging 201 Challenge in order to revamp things around here. Occasionally I might also post here but slowly over the next few weeks, I shall start to implement the changes.
Today’s assignment: audit your brand — look at all the ways you communicate information about your blog, and make sure they’re consistent, focused, and say what you want them to say.
These are my thoughts:
- Title. I initially felt it was a bit out of date because when I started blogging, it was primarily to keep in touch with Friends in Nairobi as I would be gone (at school) till November. Because I don’t go home annually or often, it might appear odd however it speaks to the notion of home and a lot of what I talk of has to do with home or a longing to belong/ be at ease. For now, I will leave it.
- Tagline. Definitely has to change because I don’t speak of work and always when typing I have been situated “behind a desk” so to speak and therefore this does not convey anything new.
- Header image. Given the preceding points above, it follows that I have to change this image. My gravatar is fine because a key characteristic of mine is how much I love to laugh. I also think that I write with a touch of humour either at myself or a situation and so I shall keep that and possibly use that as a starting point.
- Social Media. I think it’s too much admin and so for now I will rather ignore this. I do allow for people to use various Social Media tools to share posts – which hardly happens. As I sometimes look at décor and home furnishings, it might make sense to also include a Pinterest widget for people to easily Pin items.
- Theme and fonts. I like the crisp white background, it says clean and fresh to me.
- Widgets. I would like to specifically highlight the search button, the category cloud and the subscription button. These enhance the readers’ experience and allows them to subscribe as necessary.
- Deletions? A casual reader will wonder about the use of the word “madness” all over the place. I previously had a blog that had madthoughts in its title and when I merged it with this one, I kept it for old times’ sake but its run its course so I shall also change that.
From this, I have the following that I need to work on.
- Change tagline
- Review header image
- Add a Pinterest widget
- Remove the word madness and replace appropriately
Happy reading 🙂